If you need to edit images often and you do not want to or afford big image editing software like Photoshop, then PhoXo can be a perfect solution for your day to day Image editing needs. Obviously, its not big in terms of features as compared to a paid product like Photoshop, but it can be great help for those who do not need extensive features of image editing software. We have also covered similar software before like Gimp, Paint.net etc.
PhoXo is a free and powerful image editing software. It’s tiny, fast, easy to use, can be treated as a mini PhotoShop. Its features include layers, undo, over 50 special effects, batch processing, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools for selecting, crop, painting, retouching, measuring and navigation.
Especially, you can easily add text effects to image, such as shadow text, ripple text, gradient color text etc. PhoXo web site provides a large number of resources, including step by step tutorials, thousands of free clip-art, frames, patterns, textures and shapes.
- Tiny – the size of installer with many clip art and texture is only 4MB, memory usage is very small
- Fast – extensive work to make PhoXo speed up, even runs on a netbook, you can expect PhoXo to start up very quickly
- Online ClipArt – provides thousands of clipart, frame, texture, stamp, brush style for free downloads
- Easy to Use – every tool including a help tip for quick learning, and home website offers great variety of tutorials and examples
- Text Effects – easily create shadow text, gradient text, glass text, scanline text, blur text, water ripple text, and more
- Creative Effects – more than 50 effects including oil painting, mosaic, pencil sketch, soft edge, splash, emboss, and more
- Layer – simple and powerful layer management support drag and drop operations
- Selection – marquee, lasso, magic wand tool help you to select a portion or a subset of an image to work on
- Brush Pen – pen, brush, eraser, clone with variety of styles for your painting
- Photo Enhancement – red-eye removal, glow, sepia and more tools help to retouching, correcting, or improving digital photo
- Multi-language – including english, chinese, spanish, german … total 11 languages
The website lists loads of tutorials for doing things in PhoXo whether its small or big. Personally, I am not a big or even a average user when it comes to Image editing and hence I haven’t tested it much as I am unaware of the complexities involved during complex Image editing. Just by comparing the features, it look great and you can use it if you use Photoshop with minimum features. Just give it a try and share your feedback here.