I have been a big fan of Daemon tools for their capability to mount any kind of image files in a simple way. But it seems Daemon tools are on a different path. Right now, i am unable to find the free lite version which was used to be there few months back.
That made me start searching for a good alternative. I was also hoping that the alternative should be compatible with Windows 7. Then i came across Gizmo Drive, which surpisingly offer tons of features even more than Daemon tools lite (The free Version). Some of the features of Gizmo Drive are :
- Mount ISO, BIN, CUE, NRG files to a virtual CD-ROM drive
- Mount VHD files, used with Microsoft Virtual PC
- Mount password protected images to a virtual hard drive
- Encrypt HD images using a passphrase
- Protect vital files from hackers using encrypted HD images
- Mount IMG files to a virtual drive
- Mount and unmount files from the Windows Shell
- Mount and unmount files from the command line
- Support for compression and sparse HD images
* Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
* Windows Server 2008 (32-bit/64-bit)
* Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
* Windows Server 2003 (32-bit/64-bit)
* Windows XP (32-bit/64-bit)
* Windows 2000
As you can see, it supports both 32 bit and 64 bit of Windows 7 and vista too.In addition to mounting images to virtual drives, it allows you to create ISO images too from a disk or folder, and burn the contents of an ISO file or a folder to a recordable disk.
I still need to use it extensively before i can pronounce it better than daemon tools but for the time being , it looks equivalent if not bettr than daemon tools.