PS: This review is done by one of our Forum Member Grr.
Review: Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware version 1.50
In our product we have compiled a number of new technologies that are designed to quickly detect, destroy, and prevent malware.
Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect. Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they even start.
The realtime protection module uses our advanced heuristic scanning technology which monitors your system to keep it safe and secure. In addition, we have implemented a threats center which will allow you to keep up to date with the latest malware threats.
- Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Light speed quick scanning.
- Ability to perform full scans for all drives.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware protection module. (requires registration)
- Database updates released daily.
- Quarantine to hold threats and restore them at your convenience.
- Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module.
- Settings to enhance your Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware performance.
- A small list of extra utilities to help remove malware manually.
- Multi-lingual support.
- Works together with other anti-malware utilities.
- Command line support for quick scanning.
- Context menu integration to scan files on demand.
The installation was very smooth and did not require any inputs. Upon fresh installation it asks for update. I skipped it for the moment.Read below for details:
1. Good in its category for detection.
2. Strong Real-time protection.
3. Compatible with almost every Security Suite, such as Kaspersky, Fsecure, Norton, Mcafee, Avast.
4. Right click context menu for easy usage.
5. Ability to select scan memory, startup, registry and filesystem objects.
6. Defined functions for the following:
- Action for Potentially unwanted programs
- Action for Potentially unwanted modifications
- Action for peer-to-peer software
7. Set warning if the database is X days old.
8. Protects from malicious sites/IP.
9. Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module
1. GUI is not attractive. It is the same as in the versions released years ago.
2. No incremental updates.
3. No trial Pro version to test the PRO specific features like Real-time protection, flash scan, auto-update.
4. My attempt to cancel the update before it started resulted in getting “Program not responding”.
5. High use of system resources while scanning, typically for FULL scan, Average CPU usage= 16.28% and Memory=73,132k
6. Frequently affects system responsiveness during FULL scan.
7. The system loads faster after booting, if MBAM is not installed.
8. For the scan statistics below I Do Not agree with the feature “Light speed quick scanning”.
9. No improvement in Scanning Speed. From the previous version for FULL scan it took, 37 minutes 15 seconds for 224628 Objects, while the latest version took 1 hour 11 minutes 13 seconds for 343859 Objects. This does not shows any improvement to me.
Values for scans:
Objects scanned: 165617
Time required: 7 minutes 22 seconds
Objects scanned: 343859
Time required: 1 hour 11 minutes 13 seconds
Thanks to Marcin from Malwarebytes, I have Fifteen (15) Licenses of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to giveaway to Avtechies. The rules are simple. For being eligible to participate in contest/draw, you need to do the following:
- Subscribe to Avinashtech by entering your email address in the subscribe box on right sidebar of the blog or by clicking this link. Do remember to verify your email address when you get the verification email from Feedburner.
- After that, just leave your name and email address in the form by clicking this link.
- Leave a comment below telling why you would like to have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware License.
Keep in mind, Multiple entries will disqualify you from the draw.
PS: One license is reserved for reviewer Grr and 2 others for Forum members/Avinashtech Staff. Rest 12 will be decided by the draw through Random.org list randomiser.
Forum Discussion thread: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Discussion and Review/feedback