We frequently talk about about online or cloud based backup sytems to protect your valuable data from corruption, virus damage, hard disk failure, accidental deletion and theft or loss. Some of these cloud based backup systems available are Dropbox, Sugarsync, Ubuntu one, Mozy and Carbonite backups. Each of these provide loads of advantages and each service has something better to offer in terms of features or some other stuff compared to its competition.
Today we will talk about a new entrant in this cloud based backup storage system Comodo online storage or CCloud which offers a 5 GB storage space for free to its users.
- Dropzone. The dropzone is non-intrusive and it appears only when dragging and dropping something. Once the upload is finished, the files are available anywhere where you are connected.
- Website application for browsing / uploading / downloading files
- Files and Folders on website can be shared with other people, even non-COS users by sending them the link
- Optional automatic upload of screen captures, including screen captures for games which run in full screen.
- Default synchronized folder in MyDocuments which is automatically synchronized over all computers where you login
- Synchronization option in right click menu on a folder. All synchronized folders have an overlayed icon for information about synchronization state.
- COS mounted drive which behaves like a local drive. You can use any program to browse, view and edit files online without requiring additional local storage space.
- You can gain up to 10GB of extra storage space if you send you referral link to friends (200MB per each friend who signs up)
- API for managing files online. If you are a developer you can write your own application to manage files online. This is a WEB API, so the application can be developed on any platform (Mac, Linux, Windows, mobile platforms, etc)
Comodo online storage can be accessed using the Comodo Backup desktop application, online web interface or with client software along with the usual clients.Â The installation is quite smooth just like any other backup application. You need to signup for a account to start using this application and to keep track of your files. It lets you drag ‘n’ drop files, play music, view photos and edit documents directly from online storage as you would a local disk on your system.
To manage your files using your favorite web browser, just login at ccloud.com.
Download the online storage client software to easily drag-and-drop files to your online backup. Just drag and drop them into the Drop Zone and you’re done. The drop zone appears whenever you start to drag a file and can also accept text snippets, web links and bookmarks.
Also, we were unable to find support for mobile devices like Android, iOS or Windows Phone.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 – 32 bit and 64 bit
- Windows Vista – 32 bit and 64 bit
- Windows XP SP2 – 32 bit and 64 bit
- Windows Server 2008 – 32 bit and 64 bit
- Windows Server 2003 – 32 bit and 64 bit
If you need more space than 5GB, you can upgrade to a paid version and can get
- 250 GB $9.99/month
- 250 GB $99.99/year (get 2 months free)