As most Apple Fan-boys are aware that Apple have released their latest iOS 5 versionÂ on October 12. Most users who would like to keep their devices Jailbroken are still awaiting a untethered solution for their devices so that they can keep up their jailbroken Apps and tweaks including Cydia. Looks like we still need to wait some more time before a Untethered solution is available (We already know though that untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5 is already covered by developers).
For those of you who can forget the inconvenience of using a PC or Mac to boot their Jailbroken Apple devices can proceed to jailbreaking their devices by tethered method. In this post we will talk about how to do that i.e. How to jailbreak iOS 5.0 and 4.3.5(both tethered).
Except these two devices, every other device which is capable of running iOS 5 can be jailbroken using the tethered method. The only exception to this rule or even the tethered or untethered aspect is the iPhone 3GS with old boot ROM, which can be jailbroken untethered.
What’s a tethered jailbreak?
“the device requires a computer to assist booting up. If the device’s battery dies, or you turn off the device, or you reboot it, you’re going to be stuck at the Apple logo until you plug the device into a computer, open the tethered boot program (for example redsn0w), and follow its instructions.
How to jailbreak Â iOS 5.0 and iOS 4.3.5 (both tethered, No untethered now)
First things first though, Even this tethered method doesn’t cover either iPad 2 or iPhone 4S. You cannot yet jailbreak on iOS 5 if you own these two devices whether tethered or untethered.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.9b6 for your operating system.
- Unzip redsn0w to your desktop and run it. Windows users will need to run it as Administrator, in XP Service Pack 3 (2 if on Vista) compatibility mode. If you’re running Windows XP, obviously XP compatibility mode is not needed. 🙂
- Click the “Jailbreak” button in redsn0w. Your device needs to be connected at this point.
- At the next step, choose “Install cydia” only, and follow the instructions.
- After this is complete, you must re-run redsn0w, click the “Extras” button then the “Just Boot” botton and follow the instructions. You will have to do this every time you reboot or power on the device.
Anyone trying this should only try to JB the device if he is sure of what hje is doing. Also, you must have backed your Apple iOS device and its apps before starting to do it.