Just yesterday we talked about Dictionary .Net 3.0 which works as a dictionary for almost any language using Google and Bing Translation services. We had also talked about Wordweb, a offline english dictionary only too. Our Forum Mod asked Ashwin Asked if we got something similar which can work as a dictionary for any language offline without getting online and hence today I will talk about LingoPad which is a offline dictionary for many languages.
LingoPad contains a GermanÂ â†” English dictionary; other dictionaries (Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Kurdish, Norwegian or Arabic) can be downloaded as well. You can also import your own wordlists and use them parallel to the existing dictionaries. For each dictionary, a user dictionary can be defined to include additional wordlists.
- German â†” English dictionaries
- further dictionaries (e.g. Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Kurdish, Norwegian) available on clicking Online update in the Dictionaries menu
- import of own dictionaries possible (Unicode ready)
- freely definable user dictionaries
- wordlist editor
- search for beginning, ending and middle part of a word (*ending or *middle*)
- search for collocations
- activation possible with a customizable HotKey – automatic search for a tagged word or word from the clipboard
- list of latest search words
- download on memory stick possible
- offline use
- phonetic transcription for many English words
- user interface in German and English
- direct links to look up words on Wikipedia and various search engines
The original installer consists only of English and German Languages but if you need other language dictionaries can easily be downloaded by using ” Managing Dictionary”.
Just select the dictionary you want to download and click Install. The selected dictionary will now be available on your desktop inside LingoPad application.
You can easily switch between languages and hence its a great tool if you want to learn other languages. Just use it if you want to learn more than just one language.