Many of you must have encountered problems with video formats not being compatible either to your portable player or media player and hence you cant transfer it from one media to another. For doing that you normally need a video format converter. There are rarely some good converters which can convert any format to another ( paid ones included). Handbrake is one of those good converters and that too without a price tag.
HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
- Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (unencrypted–protection methods including CSS are not supported internally and must be handled externally with third-party software and libraries), and some .VOB and .TS files
- Most any multimedia file it can get libavformat to read and libavcodec to decode.
- File format: MP4 and MKV
- Video: MPEG-4, H.264, or Theora (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer/rate encoding)
- Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 and DTS pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
- Chapter selection
- Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture)
- Integrated bitrate calculator
- Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
- Grayscale encoding
For those of you, who are not comfortable with different settings, there are many presets available (on right side column) which help you to choose settings depending on your requirement ( whether you need it for IPhone, TV ,IPod, Animation etc).
Give it a try and Let me know the feedback too. Also, tell me if you use some other tool for converting your videos.