This is the 22nd in series of Giveaways in Avinashtech Birthday Celebrations i.e. ABC-22. We are giving away 10 licenses of Backup4all Pro to Avtechies.
PS:- This review is done by one of our Forum members Grr and hence one license is reserved for him.
Review of Backup4all Pro version 4.5 build 232
Backup4all is a backup program for Windows that protects your data from partial or total loss. It automates the backup process saving you time, compresses the data to save storage space (using standard zip format) and optionally encrypts it to protect from unauthorized usage.
Backup4all is having many features and the list is very extensive. It has everything one could expect from a backup software. I have tested the following features/areas:
It allows to do a full, customer or typical installation. I simple words it allows you to select the languages and a list of plugins. As would have expected from me, I went with custom installation.
1. Lock program interface with a password. Had issues with password. Once set I couldn’t remove it.
2. Backup to local drive was easy & quick. Success.
3. Simultaneous backups to local drive were successful, without any performance hit.
4. The Test function gives the ability to test the backup for any failures.
5. For every backup, a detailed log is generated.
6. It allows differential, full and incremental backups.
7. It provides Backup View, Brief View, Backup statistics and Backup summary.
8. It provides lot of plugins. Some of them which I installed are shown.
9. Additional plugin categories are available from the link below
10. You could see the history for all the jobs and even save it as a CSV file.
11. It allows encrypting the backups.
12. Backups could just be created & saved for later execution.
13. It also allows scheduling the backups.
1. Even with no parameter specified for FTP & SFTP, on clicking Test – it went ahead to check the connectivity; rather than giving an error that no parameter/value is entered.
2. The method for removing the interface password is a bit complicated. Rather than that the developer should add a button as Remove password, just simple.
3. It takes almost a minute for the interface to show, once clicked.
4. There was no way I could remove the interface password as described in their manual.
5. Even though on initial setting it said password should be 8 characters or more, it readily accepted just 1 character/number. That’s very weird.
6. Estimate for the same set of data for backup gave different values. Sets were created using like function, aka, copy.
7. The backup log is a headache for a beginner. I would prefer it to be in html format.
8. Stopping a backup takes a lot of time. Precisely for a backup of 8.48Gb took 65 seconds to cancel.
9. Even when there are no jobs in the backup groups, the program fails to notify the user.
10. The interface does not show the destination for a backup.
11. The estimated time keeps on changing.
12. When a backup is paused, with every second of Elapsed time, the Estimated time increases by 5 seconds. This is very weird.
13. Import from version 2,3,4 – gives different results. Note that I did not have any previous versions installed.
14. The home page needs a correction to show the correct software version.
We have Ten (10) Licenses ofÂ Â Backup4all Pro to giveaway . The rules are simple. For being eligible to participate in contest/draw, you need to do the following:
- Subscribe to Avinashtech by entering your email address in the subscribe box on right sidebar of the blog or by clicking this link. Do remember to verify your email address when you get the verification email from Feedburner.
- Leave a comment below telling why you would like to have Backup4all Pro License.
PS:- Giveaway is open for next 72 hours.