Here is some progress to achieve the Untethered jailbreak ioS 5. @Bigboss has released a cydia tweak app called â€œSemiTetherâ€ Jailbreak for iOS 5 which can avoid the problems arising due to reboot ofÂ a tethered jalbroken iPhone, iPad, iPod touch when you are away from your computer and get stuck at Apple logo. ThisÂ semi-tethered tweak will allow you to reboot on the road away from your computer, but with limited functionality. We view this Cydia tweak as a milestone for Untethered JB.
You can do following on your jailbroken device after using a semitethered cydia tweak.
- Can use phone, sms (text messages).
- Can use every other stock app on iphone.
- Cannot use mobile safari.
- Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser.
- Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
- You cannot use any JB tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
- While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a JB ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to â€œboot tetheredâ€
How To Jailbreak iOS 5 Semi-Tethered
- First things first, You must use the tethered Jailbreak iOS 5 on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch before attempting it. As most of you already know that there is no Untethered JB available and is still a work in progress.
- After tethered JB is over, just launch the cydia App. You need to add bigboss semitether repository to Cydia. Use the following repository for bigboss repository.
- Use cydia to search for semitether. Just install the “SemiTether” app from cydia. Thats all and you are done with Semitether JB. Or you can call it semi Untethered jailbreak. After install, you need to reboot your device, i.e reboot tethered with redsn0w.
Keep in mind that you will still need to boot using “Redsnow”Â just boot tethered option when you reach home to achieve the full functionality of your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. Also, iPad 2 is not covered by it or even tethered JB.
This semitethered boot may not work as perfectly as the tethered just boot option. Also it will take much longer to boot your Â iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. Hopefully with all these progess being made, we may get the untethered jailbreak soon. Fingers crossed.